Rice is a very light food but also very rich in carbohydrates. It is a staple in many parts of the world and can be prepared in countless ways. One of the ways of preparing rice in the coastal region of Kenya is by using coconut. This unique way has largely contributed to one of the sweetest yet simplest preparation of this kind that I have ever seen.To add a little excitement for the eyes of your guests, being one of the hardest shells with numerous values, the coconut shell can be trimmed so that it remains hollow like a bowl. Then it can be used as a substitute for a plate.
- 2 cup of rice
- ½ cup of water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of ghee (clarified butter obtained from cow's milk)
- ½ cup of coconut juice
- Clean the rice using cold water.
- Heat the ghee in the pan and add rice. Turn the rice with a spoon till all of it is in contact with the ghee.
- Add coconut juice and mix, then add salt to taste.
- Add water and cook till water is evaporated.
- Serve as an accompaniment of beans, meat or mushrooms.
This can serve 4 people.
By Edward Omoto